Netting systems provide passive fall protection, which means protection that does not require the active involvement of a user. Netting Systems consist primarily of two types: personnel nets and debris nets.
Strength, structural integrity and installation of netting systems are referenced in OSHA and ANSI regulations.
Personnel Nets are designed to catch personnel who fall from a bridge, building, tower, dam, silo or other structure or to catch workers in areas left undecked during construction, across atriums, shafts, stairwells and skylights.
Personnel Nets must be erected so that the exposed user can never fall more than 25 ft. This is done to maintain the net strength and to reduce the risk of injury to the user from impacting the net. To minimize the injury due to a fall, Personnel Nets should be positioned as close as possible, below the work level.
Debris Nets are designed to catch lightweight construction debris, tools and building materials that are dropped, kicked, pushed or blown out of place. Debris Nets can prevent falling debris from hurting people or damaging traffic below.
Debris Nets offer protection from falling objects for the entire person; hard hats protect only the head. A perimeter Debris Net meets OSHA and ANSI standards to provide fall protection from the working surface of the floor to which it is mounted.
Debris Net Liners
Personnel Nets are often lined with Debris Nets so that they can catch debris as well as personnel. Debris Net Liners should be cleaned daily because a person falling on residual debris can be seriously hurt.
Advantages of Netting Systems
• Nets save lives and reduce lost time.
• Workers feel more secure with nets.
• Secure workers are more productive.
• Nets provide protection without hampering worker performance.
• Nets save equipment from loss, destruction or damage.
• Nets provide visibility, ventilation and increased productivity
when compared to planks.
• Nets are more economical than alternatives such as scaffolding,
stay-in-place forms, planking, etc.
• Nets are reusable, easily re-rigged and can be factory repaired.